The Swing is the children and young people's service
We are a team of professionals who provide individual counselling, family support and group activities to children, young people and their families.
We hope that you find the information we offer useful.
To make a referral please contact us on 01922 645035.
If a child isn't told what has happened they may be confused and frightened by the changes that are happening.
Therefore is it important that:
- Children are told as soon as possible that the person has died, however this should only be done in consultation with the family.
- That you use the correct language i.e. dead and died.
- You don't uses phrases like 'lost' 'gone to sleep' 'gone away' as children understand these words in a way that suggests the person will 'be found' 'wake-up' or 'return'.
- You are honest whenever possible, even if this means saying 'I can't answer that just now'.
If you need help, seek advice and support
- Children do grieve and that their response to a death is as valid as anyone else's.
- That their behaviour might change as they adjust to live without the deceased.
- For more information about supporting grieving child use the links below
Useful links Links open in a new window.
Supporting families and educating professionals when a child dies and when a child is bereaved.
Interactive site for young people and families and information.
This site helps bereaved children get the best possible help, recognition and understanding following their loss. It has a link where you can create a memorial site.
Charity providing support for road crash victims and carers, advice for road users and information exchange for professionals. Their children's book is excellent, available at www.amyandtom.org
email@example.com Papyrus Teenage Suicide Prevention (01706) 214449)